I ran into this problem a couple different times on different machines running Fedora over the span of about the last 6 months. I had to Google it both times to find a solution (which wasn't easy to find), so here's the solution that ended up working for me each time.
~/Musicfolder (if you already downloaded songs from Google, move them to some other place). You'll see why in step #8.
Also, if you can't get the Music Manager to start at all in the first place, try running it from a terminal window with the
google-musicmanager command and see what it says. On Fedora, it told me "error while loading shared libraries: libQtWebKit.so.4", and I just had to
yum install qtwebkit to fix it (the MusicManager RPM didn't correctly list this dependency). When you see this or similar errors in Fedora, you can use a command similar to
yum provides '*/libQtWebKit.so.4' and see what packages provide the missing file, and know what to install from there.
There are 36 comments on this page. Add yours.
Nice article, I tried uploading an empty folder and made my way through the prompts, now I'm able to see the status of the music downloads. Thanks!
Thanks for this. Sorted the problems I was having!
Thanks dude, this helped me as well on Ubuntu Gnome 14.04!
Now, if only Google would acknowledge, that there even is an issue… Google knows about this defect and knows about this blog post, but… Well, I know where I will NOT be spending money, that's for sure.
thanks man.. your solution worked for me.
so weird that google doesn't fix this!
Helped me as well, thanks a lot!
I luv you ! I love google, but this music manager so far is not so good on linux... but at least this time they provide linux version, I'm still mad not having "native" linux program for drive...
Anyway, thanks to you now options working... :) Great achievements... wondering if I made a mistake by buying albums on play... Let's see in the future. Thanks again !
It seems that this won't be fixed since Google is trying their new "packaged app" technology to directly interface with the machine.
Thank you very very much!!! :D
Thanks, worked for me on Elementary OS!
THANK YOU! This was driving me crazy trying to figure out.
Thanks! That worked on elementary OS as well! (just fyi)
Thanks for the tip, works great. Sad though, that this is still an issue a year after the original post. Google sure doesnt give Linux support priority.
This seems to have done the job for me under Ubuntu Gnome 14.04. Thank you.
You know how I download songs on 7digital? I buy them, then I click 'donwload'. Then I can put them on my mp3 player and listen to them.
You know how I download songs on google play? I buy them, then I visit a web page, Then I click three gray butons that drop downa menu, then I click download, then it warns me that I can only download songs twice from the web, but that i should get the gogle play manager program if i want to download them more often. So I download them from the web, once, and it decides to download the whole album - but it dies at 1.5 gigabytes (13 podcasts, 11 hours of audio, why?) I am afraid I have 'used up' one of my two web downloads, so i better try the manager program.
I install it. Of course, it doesnt work. As this blog post notes it silently fails to open a window. Its main widow. I try right clicking on the new icon in my doc, and try 'go to music player', it takes me to a web page. Where I can't download songs. It's the same web page I was at before.
For the last 10 minutes I have been "preparing to upload" ... dont know what that means, but i dont want to upload anything.
I want to downlad the podcasts. That I bought. With my Money.
Ok. Now it has finished preparing. I try to 'open music player' again, again it goes to the web page.
Maybe if i right click and choose 'options'... oh guess what? you cant stop uploading in favor of downloading.. you can only upload and download at the same time.
Google - i am fed up with this company. This has prompted me to finally pull the trigger on gmail and get rid of evry last trace of Google in my life.
Thank you for this information! I was going crazy trying to figure out what was wrong with the Music Manager. I did everything that you said, and it worked (I have Opensuse).
Keywords for future searchers: Ubuntu Linux Google Music Manager Options does nothing
Thanks! It's now working. But I still have problems in my Android and I'm trying to fix it...
I went into the opt/google directory and there was a run file labeled google-musicmanger that I clicked on... I was prompted with a window that informed me that the sftware was not trusted. I checked trust this software and ran it, upon doing so, the icon changed from a text file Icon to the google play Icon. I no longer have problems witht he application whatsoever. Hope this helps.
Thanks so much! Don't know what I would have done without you and this post.
Well, the interesting thing is that linux and windosoft started doing the same thing at nearly the same time.
for me, it somehow uploaded 23 files that didn't exist. but at least it's working now.
Thanks for this, if only they would fix it.
It's 2016 and this fix is still relevant.
Thank you very much for your help! 2.5 years since your post and it's still very useful.
This is one of the most useful pages on the internet, keep up the good work!
Thanks! Still works on Fedora 23.
Hi, thanks for the hints.
Working on: Linux Mint 18 Sarah Google Music Manager 184.108.40.2066
Brilliant, worked like a charm! Thanks for sharing this!
Hahaha, this still hasn't been fixed after 3 years.
Thanks for keeping this post up.
Dude, thank you so much. I can believe Google haven't fix this issue. You were the only one with a proper solution! Thanks!
Awesome - thanks. Worked like a charm.
Thank you for the detailed instructions, soooo helpful! solved my problem!
Thanks for the fix!
still working.. thanks
Thank you from the future :D
Thanks a lot! Problem solved