Category: RiveScript

RiveScript's Original Niche

Noah Petherbridge
kirsle
Posted by Noah Petherbridge on Friday, February 24 2017 @ 03:24:52 PM

I wrote this article for the RiveScript Community Wiki, but am reposting it here for visibility.

I've been noticing more and more lately that people are using RiveScript to power Facebook Messenger chatbots, which adds a whole lot of complexity that RiveScript wasn't ready for. This article explains why RiveScript was designed the way that it is, what it's doing to support modern chatbots, and recommendations for how to design a modern chatbot.

Read more...

Event Loops

Noah Petherbridge
kirsle
Posted by Noah Petherbridge on Thursday, November 26 2015 @ 04:12:20 PM

This is something I wanted to rant about for a while: event loops in programming.

This post is specifically talking about programming languages that don't have their own built-in async model, and instead left it up to the community to create their own event loop modules instead. And how most of those modules don't get along well with the others.

Read more...

RiveScript in Go

Noah Petherbridge
kirsle
Posted by Noah Petherbridge on Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 02:11:59 PM

Over the last couple months I've been slowly working on rewriting RiveScript in yet another programming language: Google's Go language! It's also my first project in Go, which is what tends to be the case (rewriting RiveScript in Java and Python were my first projects in those languages, too).

But this is the last time I'm going to be rewriting RiveScript from scratch.

Read more...

RiveScript Rewritten in CoffeeScript

Noah Petherbridge
kirsle
Posted by Noah Petherbridge on Wednesday, April 22 2015 @ 12:47:51 PM

I've spent the last few months porting over the JavaScript version of my chatbot scripting language, RiveScript, into CoffeeScript. I mainly did this because I didn't like to maintain raw JavaScript code (especially after I ran a linter on it and had to rearrange my variable declarations because JavaScript's variable scoping rules are stupid), but I also took the opportunity to restructure the code and make it more maintainable in the future.

For some historical background, the first RiveScript implementation was written in Perl, and I designed it to be one big monolithic file (RiveScript.pm), because then I could tell noobs that they can update to a new version of RiveScript in their bots by just dropping in a new file to replace the old one, and avoid overwhelming them with the complexity of doing a CPAN installation (especially if they're generally new to Perl as well, and all they really wanna do is just run a chatbot.)

Read more...

RiveScript.com Makeover

Noah Petherbridge
kirsle
Posted by Noah Petherbridge on Sunday, January 25 2015 @ 01:11:03 PM

I've just spent pretty much the whole day redoing the website for RiveScript.com, and I think it looks pretty nice.

Screenshot

RiveScript.com was the final website on my server that was still running on my legacy PerlSiikir CMS, and it's been on my to-do list for a while to get it migrated over to my new Python CMS, Rophako like what Kirsle.net is currently running on. The old Perl code was clunky and ugly and memory-leaky, and now I'll be at ease if I ever need to migrate to a new web server, as my Python web apps are extremely quick to get up-and-running, whereas it was an hours-long ordeal to get PerlSiikir to run.

So, the bulk of the work actually needed for RiveScript.com was purely front-end. I revamped the whole web design to use Twitter Bootstrap and make it look all hip and edgy like how all the other small software project websites are these days.

Besides the programming language on the back-end, I had other reasons for why I wanted to simplify RiveScript.com: I don't have the motivation or energy to do as much with that site as I did previously.

I used to run a YaBB Forum on RiveScript.com, but it wasn't extremely active and it was getting hit by too many spam bots, so several months ago I shut that down and linked to the RiveScript forum at Chatbots.org.

More recently I had programmed a chatbot hosting service that was on RiveScript.com, but that wasn't very popular either. I know nobody was using it because it had been broken for months and I hadn't heard any complaints. ;) A couple months ago I sunsetted that feature by turning off new site registrations and removing some references to the feature. And now that's officially gone! If you actually had a bot hosted there, contact me and I can get you your bot's reply files back.

So, the new site is simple and minimalistic and is just about the RiveScript language itself. It was an ordeal rewriting all of the pages from scratch (well, most of them) but now that it's done, the site should be very low-maintenance for me.

One of the most fun parts of it was that I ported over my "Try RiveScript Online" page to use JavaScript and run in the browser, whereas the old version had a Perl back-end (because a JavaScript version of RiveScript didn't exist at the time), so that's even one less thing for me to maintain and make sure it doesn't break. :)

And, the front-end pages for the new site are also open source, FWIW.